Generation To Generation

Here are two new small boards on the fence where Hawthorn Avenue and Sandes Court meet between Woodburn and Sunnylands. Above, “Remembering our fallen everyday [sic]” with images of soldiers from the World Wars and UVF emblems in the corners. Below, an Ulster Grenadiers flute band (Fb) board, similar to the large board mounted last year (2024) in St Bride’s Street – see Never Forget, Always Remember.

The main board, on the gable beyond – “Loyalist Woodburn celebrates 100th anniversary Northern Ireland” – and Captain Sir Tom Moore remain as in 2022’s entry – see Maintain The Union.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07924 T07925 T07926

Ardoyne Generations Bloom

Etna Drive in Ardoyne has undergone a make-over in the last twelve months. The large board below was mounted in December 2024, the planters added in March 2025, and the boxes along the street were painted in June. The boxes celebrate local groups and initiatives: “Cıceam Ard Eoın [Fb]”, “Ardoyne-Bone Community health & leisure trust [Fb]”, “Community larder. Drop in. Locally sourced food.”, “Ardoyne Association [Fb] Citizens’ Advice Centre”, and the “Lawrenson-Toal academy of Irish dance [ig]”.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07901 T07902 [T07896] T07897 T07898 T07899 T07900 T07903 [T07904]
ML and MD

The Missing Of The Somme

“When you go home tell them of us and say, ‘For your tomorrow we gave our today’.” The Thiepval Memorial commemorates British and South African soldiers who died in the Somme valley and have no known grave. The Battle Of the Somme took place from July 1st to November 18th, 1916, but soldiers were in the area from July 1915 until the end of the war; the Germans attacked in the Somme in the spring of 1918 (Operation Michael) and a second Battle Of The Somme took place in late August, 1918, as part of the Allies’ Hundred Days Offensive.

The words are from an epitaph by John Maxwell Edwards in the Kohima War Cemetery, Nagaland, India.

Crebilly Road, Ballykeel 1, Ballymena

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07869 T07870 T07871

Mythical Andersonstown

Here are five mythological figures placed against a backdrop of Celtic Ireland, including standing stones, a dolmen, a stone circle, and the Janus figure on Boa Island (WP), from the wall of the PD/Cumann Sóısıalta Bhaıle Andarsan.

At least four of the five are copies of Jim Fitzpatrick paintings. From top to bottom (right to left on the wall) we see the figures from Breas ⁊ Cú Brea (which was long ago a mural in Derry), Medb Of Connacht, Nuada Journeys To The Underworld (seen in Nuada, Nuada Reborn, and elsewhere), a warrior-woman with spear (get in touch if you know the source), and The Coming Of Lugh (previously a mural in Ardoyne).

See also the Visual History page on The Influence Of Jim Fitzpatrick.

South Link, Andersonstown, west Belfast

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07775 T07776 T07777 T07778 T07779 T07780 T07781 T07782

Billy Anderson

“William Anderson Garden Of Remembrance – In memory of Billy Anderson”. Billy “The Brick” Anderson was a member of the Pride Of Ballybeen flute band (Fb) – there is a small version of the band’s emblem above the black plaque in the image above.

“Cuidich ‘n Righ” [help the king] is the motto of the Highlanders. The emblem also appears on the band’s mural at the top of the estate (and below the Buster Keenan mural in east Belfast).

Millar’s Lane, on the old bonfire site at the bottom of Ballybeen estate, Dundonald

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07679 T07681 T07680

Alex McDonald Loyal

The new Rangers supporters club in Donegall Pass is named after Alex “Doddie” MacDonald, who played midfield for Rangers from 1968 to 1980, which included the team’s victory in the European Cup-Winners’ Cup in 1972. (A full biography can be found on the Rangers web site.)

The new board announces the “Alex MacDonald Loyal RSC (Donegall Pass)” and the photographs show various high-points in MacDonald’s career: “Signed for Rangers 19 November 1968”, “Hampden Park on 25 October 1975 when MacDonald scored the winner in the Old Firm League Cup final”, “Rangers hall of fame”.

Also included beneath the main board are the crests of “Southbank True Blues” and “Kirkintilloch RSC” (Fb).

Pine Street, Donegall Pass, south Belfast. Launched on September 13th – Facebook.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07656 T07657 T07658 T07659

Ray McCullough

Ray McCullough “the Dromara destroyer” rode 250 and 350cc bikes during the late 60s and 1970s, winning 175 races (News Letter), including seven Ulster Cups (Devitt). For McCullough’s career as a motorbike engineer, see News Letter | NI World.

This new mural is in grey-scale except for McCullough’s distinctive red helmet with a green shamrock and red hand. Painted by JMK (ig); the photo reproduced can be seen on the Triumph Motorcycle forum.

Brap Moto, Lisburn Road, Moira, replacing a mural of Harvey Williams at the 1952 Isle Of Man TT.

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07652 T07651

It’s The Man Himself

Here are three pieces (two boards and a statue) celebrating Willie Maley, who was born in Newry barracks in 1868 – his father was a sergeant in the 21st Regiment Of Foot. The following year the family moved to Scotland. Maley played in midfield for Celtic and made two international appearances for Scotland. He became manager in 1897 at the age of 29 and steered the club to sixteen league championships and fourteen Scottish Cups.

The board (above) in Mourne View Park (Mourne View is built on the site of the infantry barracks – the old walls are still standing): “The man who made Celtic – Willie Maley – founder member & player 1888, Celtic manager 1897-1940.” “It’s not the creed nor his nationality that counts. It’s the man himself.” “A man must be a Celt on & off the field, otherwise he is no value to this Club.”

The board is at the bottom of Mourne View Park in Erskine Street, on the south side of the barracks: “The Celtic vision was born here. William Patrick Maley born here 25th April 1868, the military barracks, Newry, died 2nd April, 1958, Glasgow.” “My love for Celtic has been a craze, without it my experience would be empty indeed.”

The statue is at the junction of Camlough Road and Monaghan Row and was launched in 2023 (Newry.ie): “”Mr. Celtic” William Patrick Maley. 43 years as Glasgow Celtic’s first ever manager, winning 19 league titles & over 40 other trophies as player/manager. “It’s not the creed nor his nationality that counts. It’s the man himself.” Born in Newry 25th April 1868. Glasgow Celtic fans will always fondly remember Mr Willie Maley.”

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07581 T07582 T07583 T07584 T07585
T07586 T07587 [T07588]
T07612 T07613 T07614 T07615

What’s The Quack?

This is a second gallery of just some of the electrical boxes that have been painted in Newry in recent years, particularly 2024’s ‘Street Dreams’ initiative (web). (See previously Street Dreams.)

“What’s the quack?” and “Pure Class” are by Visual Waste (web), the boat made of harp and fiddle is by JMK (ig), the purple face, the covered wagon, and the draft-horse are by Friz (web), “looking at the stars” and “Queer to stay” are by FrankieB (ig), “Oh happy day” is related to the Choir Studio (Fb), and the boombox is by Aoife Gorman (ig).

For even more boxes, see Amplified NI (ig).

Click image to enlarge
Copyright © 2025 Paddy Duffy
T07579 T07580 T07589 T07590 T07593 [T07591] T07592 T07594
T07595 T07596
T07597 T07598
T07599 T07600