“The Lisbellaw community celebrates the coronation of his majesty King Charles III. God save the King.” Charles’s coronation was on May 6th, 2023, eight months after acceding to the throne upon the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II. He turns 78 this year (2026).
This is a large printed board in the Brook Street, Lisbellaw, below the A4.
Belfast Royal Hospital was renamed in honour of Queen Victoria in 1899 (two years before her death) and a bronze statue by J. Wenlock Rollins (Public Statues) was installed in 1903 at the entrance to the hospital in its new Grosvenor Road location.
Activists from Lasaır Dhearg (web) poured red paint over what it called a “symbol of empire” on Friday (February 27th) (News Letter | MSN’s copy of the Irish News story). Paint remained on Sunday, despite an earlier attempt to wash it off (Independent).
This pair of trees is in Ballymacash next to the bonfire site, hence the “No dumping and fly tipping” sign above the Union Flag on the tree to the right. The flag wrapped around the tree on the left is similar to one seen in 100 Years, an Ulster Banner with quadrants filled with (clockwise) King Billy, an Orange march, the Crown, and (instead of a Union Flag) what looks like UVF purple.
On both tree-trunks are small boards celebrating the “platinum jubilee 1952-2022” of “Her Majesty Elizabeth II”, with flowers of the nations and colonies (rose, thistle, shamrock, daffodil, silver fern, maple leaf) and an Orange star.
Here is a gallery of images from the wall behind the Shore Road ‘World Wars’ memorial (see Remembrance Sunday) which has a few new additions and re-ordered boards for this year’s commemorations. The main additions are the “Lest we forget” stencil shown above, and a large number of white crosses in the grass and along the fence bearing the emblem of the UDR. The UDR board has been moved from the slanted wall at the far left to what is now the central position on the wall.
For images from Sunday’s ceremonies at City Hall, see BBC.
In case the large medallion celebrating Queen Elizabeth’s platinum jubilee (in 2022) was not a sufficient indicator, a small “Loyalist” has been added above the street-sign. In the last century, Glenrosa Street in Tiger’s Bay used to continue across Duncairn Gardens into the New Lodge as Glenrosa Street South.
At the other end of the street is a warning sign next to the bonfire site: “All taigs will be shot – TBH #1. If this boney goes, so does NLR [New Lodge Road]”
“William & Catherine, prince and princess of Wales, baron and baroness of [sic] Carrickfergus.” Prince William was granted the title of “Baron Carrickfergus” upon his marriage to Catherine Middleton in 2011; he was also made Earl Of Strathearn and Duke Of Cambridge (royal.uk). The couple visited Carrickfergus in 2022 (NI World), shortly after Charles acceded to the throne and William gained the title of Prince Of Wales.
The Denmark Street arch (at the top of the lower Shankill estate and next to the Clifton Street Orange Hall) returns for the 2025 marching season.
For each of the 12 panels, see Upward. Each side of the arch features a quote from scripture: on the outside, “Blessed be the Lord God of Israel – Psalm 41 v. 13”, and on the estate side “Love the brotherhood, fear God, and honour the King – [1st] Peter 2 v. 17”
The News Letter reports that the new arch at the junction of Templemore Avenue and Beechfield Street is the first new arch in east Belfast for fifty years (News Letter). There was long ago an arch in Dee Street (Fb).
On the northern side are the emblems of local lodges – Ballymacarrett Junior District LOL No. 3, Royal Arch Purple District Chapter No. 6, Ballymacarrett District No. 2 Women’s LOL, Ballymacarrett District LOL No. 6, Royal Black District Chapter No. 4 Ballymacarrett, Apprentice Boys Of Derry Belfast Browning Club – as well as “Marching Bands of east Belfast”.
On the southern side, we see (l-r) “Faith & Loyalty”, the Relief Of Derry, the Battle Of The Boyne, JP Beadle’s painting of the 36th Division going over the top at the Battle Of The Somme, King Charles III, the stained-glass window in Schomberg House in memoriam (not: “in memorium”) murdered OO members.
The arch was officially dedicated on June 30th. Ballymacarrett Orange Hall is a bit further down Templemore Avenue, on Albertbridge Road.